Thursday, July 30, 2009

He's Obama, with or without an original birth certificate

I’m fascinated by the debate over President Obama’s original birth certificate. You say you’re American-born? Prove it. Can you be our real president? Prove it. Prove it with this one specific piece of paper.

Suddenly, because he didn’t jump up and run to the filing cabinet to produce this document, the conspiracy theory is underway. Forget why he isn’t indulging the American public in this obsession, he knows who he is and so do we, so let’s get on with the health care plan and economy issues, shall we?

I’m wondering how this would have played out if he was adopted and didn’t happen to be born in one of the six states that currently allow adult adoptees to access their original birth certificates. The whole birther accusation is that because Obama is unwilling to prove his birth place, he must not be legit. Well, what if he couldn’t access his original birth certificate? What if he didn’t actually know the details of his birth and was legally prevented from getting that proof?

The whole issue has put the spotlight on the tie between an original birth certificate and identity. Because Obama has not produced his original birth certificate on demand, his identity is in question. This is really in line with what we’ve been hearing from adult adoptees for years – that their original birth certificate holds important answers about who they are.

This is the first time I’ve seen so much emphasis on the tie between the original birth certificate and a person’s identity outside of the adoption framework. While I’m kind of annoyed that Obama’s original birth certificate has become such a huge issue, I’m pleased that the idea that "an original birth certificate is tied to identity" is making its way to the mainstream. I’m not sure if President Obama is sympathetic to that cause, but this may be just the thing to drive that point home.

For more on the topic of having vs. not having an original birth certificate, see the post “Birth Certificates: Why It’s Good to Have One” on Angie Jackson’s blog.

Image: FactCheck.org

2 comments:

  1. The time lines, places, actions, motives, when analyzed, support, and are consistent with, what is the answer to the Obama birth puzzle:

    Obama’s grandmother is his mother and his mother is his sister.

    Think about it. Review all the facts and claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope Anonymous's post is supposed to be read tongue-in-cheek. People are ridiculous.

    Rachel, this is an excellent take on the birth certificate issue! I've been fascinated with it too, but hadn't really figured out why. This is exactly why--it's totally tied to the adoption thing. I hope too that it can support our open-records cause.

    Kudos, my friend.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts